Sunday, August 08, 2004

My Sunday melt-down

For the past few weeks I have had a melt-down of sorts when I get home from work on Sundays. I don't throw myself on the living room rug and pummel the ground with my fists (although that doesn't sound like a bad idea)but my whole body collapses and I can barely move.

This all begins on Friday night. I dream of going to bed at a decent hour: 9:00pm? 10:00pm? The reality is that I am not tired enough to fall asleep at that hour. This past Friday night I played Diamond Mine for hours. Finally at 12:00am I got into bed. I fell asleep sometime after 1:00am. The alarm sang my wake up call at 5:00am. I woke up feeling like a piece of chewed bubble gum being scraped off someone's shoe.

I left the house before 7:00am to go to my first job from 7:30am-12:15pm. Then it was off to job #2 from 1:00pm-9:30pm. I think I went to bed at 12:00am and I woke up at my usual 5:00am. (Ok it was actually 4:55am when I woke up. I usually beat the alarm clock.)Then I faced another day of work from 7:00am-3:30pm.
It wasn't too bad because we had a good group of people on my shift. That makes all the difference in the world.

I got home after 4:00pm and chatted with my neighbor in the parking lot until 5:00pm. She didn't hear the screams in the night but she did read the odd letter from the mom so we caught up with what was going on. Once I was upstairs I began to heat the oil in the fry daddy and make a salad. I threw in Purdue Popcorn chicken and some french fries and tried to stay alert so I wouldn't burn myself on the splattering oil.

During dinner, Rich mentioned that the french fries weren't cooked enough. Ya, they were squishy and not crunchy but that just meant I didn't have to put too much effort into chewing! That seemed appealing to me.
We were eating dinner in the living room while watching "Ice Age" and I began to feel my head gently pounding and becoming as heavy as a bowling ball. I could barely keep it from flopping.At 6:30pm I told Rich and Lillianna that I would be back in a minute. I figured if I just rested for a moment......well......you know.

Rich had stripped the bed while I was at work but hadn't made it yet. I glared at my wonderful bed that looked like it belonged in a prison and I snuggled in. Soon thereafter I heard Lillianna say, "Mommy is asleep," and Rich replied, "Figures." In my head I was saying, "It won't be for the whole night. Just let me rest," but I don't think any words were making their way out!

At 8:30pm I woke up with my head throbbing and begging for my lovely Sudafed Sinus tablets.
Rich just came in with clean sheets and we made our bed together. He had already made Lillianna's without me. (Thank you, honey. I don't know if I could've gotten out of this chair to help you!)

My point is that once again, I can barely function after my weekend of work. I can't make myself stay awake after dinner. I can't cut down my hours, in fact, I may have to add to them.

I don't want to flop into bed ever Sunday after work. I need some suggestions.

What gives you energy when you are exhausted and can't stay awake?

No comments: