Monday, August 09, 2004

It takes a village

I truly believe it takes a village to raise a child. I have often said that Rich and I can't possibly be everything to Lillianna and that is why we have family and friends to help us. I did write a post about this on DotMoms a few months ago but I can't find it to reference it. Sorry. It was a list of who does what for Lillianna.

I have taught her to cook.
Rich has taught her to war game.
My friend Kristy takes her strawberry picking every year.

Today was my typical Monday, which is the day I try to recover from my working weekend. Kristy called me at 9:30am and asked if she could stop by. I was thrilled to see her. We only live 10 minutes apart but we don't see each other as much as we would like. We decided to go pick up some things that were on sale at the local supermarket before Kristy had to open her store. Of course Lillianna wanted to ride in the cool convertible so I let her go with Kristy and I followed in my car.

Once we got there, Lillanna said she wanted to stay with Auntie Kristy and ride in the convertible again. I said we had to get home after shopping but before I could finish, Kristy volunteered to take Lillianna to her house for a few hours so that I could have a break. Whenever my sister, Kara takes Lillianna for the day I am always at work and Rich gets time to himself. I never do.

Lillianna was thrilled with this news.I ended up going home and I tried to rest. It took a while to fall asleep but I eventually did. It was wonderful to nap without any interruptions. When I picked Lillianna up she was so excited to tell me everything she did with her Auntie Kristy. They went out into the yard to do some gardening. Lillianna cut some flowers by herself. Then she watched the birds at the feeder and Kristy explained what each bird was. Kristy taught her how to look up animals on google. Their time together was great for both of them.

I love the fact that my friends not only love my daughter but they are also interested in passing down their knowledge to her. They are part of my village.

Who is in your village?

No comments: