Monday, May 01, 2006

I'm not in the circus so why am I required to juggle?

I looked at the calendar today and it stressed me out. May is going to be a very busy month for us. I work Thursday and Saturday mornings as an ophthalmic technician and if I have to take off one of those days,I try to make it up on another day so that I don't lose the money. I don't love this job but the money is good and I've worked here for 16 years.

Next week,I am chaperoning Lillianna's field trip so I took Thursday off and then I had to take Saturday morning off too for her dancing school dress rehearsal. I also volunteer in her class that Friday morning for computer class. When I looked at the calendar,I couldn't make sense of it.

The only day to make up Thursday and Saturday would be Friday and I would have to work 8 hours instead of 4. That means not volunteering Friday and checking with the mom who shares this day with me and make sure she is going to be in school for the kids that day. Then I will have to ask my mom to pick Lillianna up from school and bring her to her house until I get there at 5:15pm.

The whole month looks like that. I have to keep juggling days in order to do what I need to do for Lillianna and still keep my hours the same at work. We can't afford any loss in pay. I asked Rich if he could pick up some extra overtime at work so hopefully that will take the burden and stress off of me during this time.

How do you handle a busy schedule?

No comments: