Sunday, April 30, 2006

A very special gift.

Liane and I have been best friends since we met in Mr.Bucceri's 7th grade science class. We traveled through our teen years together side by side,always ready with a willing shoulder to cry on if one of us needed it. We also laughed about things only the two of us could possibly understand.We called ourselves Laverne and Shirley. She was quiet and sweet like Shirley and I was a bit louder like Laverne. We made the perfect team.

When we were in 9th grade,I told her about the crush I had on Tony who was 2 years older than us. Ok,he was not an attractive guy but I fell in love with his singing voice. He didn't know I even existed. Strangely,when I heard he wanted to date Liane,I wasn't even upset. Who wouldn't want to date her? She was great. The only hitch was that Liane didn't like Tony at all so she politely declined his invitation. She never wanted to hurt anyone's feelings. I thought she had the kindest heart in the world.

We have been through so many things over the past 30 years.It's just amazing to think about it all. Liane knew my dad and my grandparents. Other than my friend,Barry,I don't have any friends who knew me when my dad and grandparents were alive. I was different back then,young and carefree! When I talk about my dad or grandparents, Liane knows exactly what I mean. There is such a comfort in that for me.

Liane has lived out of the country for the past 6 years and that has been hard for both of us. She will be back in the country for at least 2 years starting this summer. We are both very excited about this. She won't have to worry about the 15 hour time difference when she calls me since she will be in the same time zone when she returns. We will still be quite a few hours away by car,(I think it's 9!),but at least we can talk more frequently on the phone. That will be such a gift for both of us.

She sent me an email the other day explaining about a package she had her husband send me when he came to the states for business. She had packed it in a hurry so that he could mail it from here so she didn't have time to enclose a note. She told me that she was proud of how hard I have worked to change my eating plan and to lose the weight I needed to lose in order to be healthy. She sent me a necklace with three strands of pearls because she said I deserved it.

I cried when I read that email. Who does things like that? Liane....that's who! I couldn't wait to get that package. It arrived the other day,in a gorgeous blue velvet box. When I saw the pearls,my heart felt like it was being squeezed. No one but Liane could've thought of this gift for me. It was just what I needed to feel good about myself and to stay motivated.

I have decided that I am going to wear my pearls every chance that I get. I hate saving things for "a special occasion" because they don't always come along as often as I would like. I also think the fact that I am alive and healthy is pretty special so if you see me wearing my pearls with jeans and a t-shirt,don't be surprised. I will probably be wearing them a lot!

What gift from a friend meant the most to you?

No comments: