Monday, May 29, 2006

A day of firsts

MY FIRST BREAKFAST

Yesterday,we went to New Hampshire to visit Rich's sister and her family. On the way there,we stopped for breakfast. I haven't eaten breakfast out since my diagnosis of Pancreatitis/Diabetes in November. I've had lunch and dinner out but not breakfast. I decided to take control.

I packed a small container of I Can't Believe It's Not Butter Light, sugar free strawberry jam and a small carton of fat free cream in a small lunch box with an ice pack.

I ordered an egg white omelet,dry toast and coffee. (Lillianna and Rich ate the home fries.) It was perfect!! I had everything that I wanted and I didn't feel deprived at all. Plus,I didn't have to go off my eating program.

I also brought food for when I got to my sister-in-law's house. I did eat a hamburg for lunch with a teaspoon of macaroni salad, a teaspoon of potato salad and a lot of regular salad. I ate sugar free jello before that since I was starving and lunch wasn't ready yet. For dessert,instead of birthday cake,I ate one of my sugar free oatmeal cookies. (Three cookies is one serving.)

Dinner was a repeat of lunch and I couldn't eat 2 hamburgs in one day. Too much fat for me. I heated up the chicken,broccoli and low carb pasta that I had brought. I had a heaping bowl of salad so that I would stay away from the macaroni salad and potato salad that I had sampled earlier.

At dessert time,I had a cup of coffee with one more sugar free cookie. I was pleased with my day. I had a fun time with my family which was great but the important thing was that I was in complete control of my food.

When we got home at 11:30pm,I checked my blood sugar. It was 134. Pretty darn good! I was very proud of myself!!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

LILLIANNA'S FIRST HAMBURG!

Lillianna is a picky eater like Rich. This year,she has started to eat steak after years of not eating meat other than chicken nuggets.(Who knows if nuggets are really even a food??)

Yesterday,my brother-in-law grilled hot dogs,hot links and hamburgs. I walked over to Lillianna with great hope in my heart and told her the menu. Then I asked,"Would you like to try a hamburg? It's just steak in a patty."

She didn't even hesitate when she said,"Sure." I almost fell over from shock,
I made her a sandwich with some lettuce and she gobbled it all up.
My child at her first hamburg!!!!.......and she liked it!!

This is a news flash in our family. It's the unthinkable. Lillianna is really branching out. We are all so proud of her!! She even had a half of another burger for dinner. Wonders will never cease!

No comments: