Wednesday, February 23, 2005

Does anyone speak English anymore?

At 9:00pm I decided to check my email before American Idol came on. When I clicked on internet explorer,my Comcast page couldn't be displayed. I immediately called Comcast who told me my memory card had somehow been erased and I had to call Hewlett Packard to have them walk me through reinstalling it. Do I hear a WTF????? I decided to wait until after AI was over. At 10:00pm I made the next call.

My already pounding head began to throb even more.I spoke to a non English speaking person for 30 minutes. I still don't know if this person was male or female. There was no way to tell. He kept repeating the same things to me: What model is computer?
What Window you use? How old computer? Is under warranty? What serial number?
Ok for this one,Rich had to crawl under the computer desk,pull out the hard drive (?),turn it around which was no easy task since the wires and cables don't leave much room for pulling and then read the serial number with a flashlight.
Finally,after telling me this would be a $40 charge and giving my VISA number, I was transfered to the tech who could help me.

Just then my cordless beeped and I knew it was going dead. I grabbed the non-cordless phone and waited 5 minutes until another non-English speaking person picked up. I could barely understand him at all. Rich stayed on that phone while I picked up the cordless again and tried to follow the tech's instructions. A minute later my phone went completely dead and Rich proceded to yell instructions to me from the dining room. The tech said to unscrew the cable from the modem. Rich came to do it since I must have been too weak for this.

The tech had put us on hold but we had questions. Rich yelled out,"What's this white cord for?" How the hell do I know? I don't know how to hook up a computer. I waited another minute,then hung up.Rich restarted the computer and voila! it was fine. Somehow this cord became disconnected.I am calling HP back in the morning!

Since the tech never did anything for me, can I get my $40 back?

No comments: