Friday, July 09, 2004

Keeping a Secret

I am not known for being good at keeping a secret. I don't say, "Oh sure, I won't tell anyone," if I know I can't keep my mouth zipped. If someone asks, "Can you keep a secret?" I usually say, "I don't think so but I will try."

When Liane and Brian had breakfast at our house the day Brian was going to propose, he was going to tell me his plans before it happened but then changed his mind. When I finally got the news and he told me he almost confided in me I said, "What is wrong with you? You would've been making a huge mistake telling me. I am not a good pretender! My face would've been all happy and goofy and I would've hugged Liane and cried "Call me later if anything happens!" So, here's an F.Y.I. for you....if you are trying to keep a secret from Liane...don't tell me!"

Of course I have been a keeper of secrets over the years. I think it's only news about exciting upcoming events that I have a problem with: engagements,pregnancies,surprises,etc. Anything private and personal that has been told to me I will take to the grave. I don't believe in violating my friends and family.

So with all this in mind, it is a wonder how many times I keep secrets from Lillianna. This has become a fun new past-time for me. I plan a fun event, I tell her when it is going to happen, but I don't tell her what it is.

The other day I told her we were going to meet Cheryl but I didn't mention we were picking up Mollie on the way and heading to the playground. When she got in the car and saw 2 car seats she asked who the other one was for. I told her it was for Cheryl. She looked at me and asked, "Do we know a little Cheryl?" I didn't say a word. When we picked up Mollie, Lillianna was surprised. Mollie told her where we were going. They were both so excited.

Now I am holding another surprise over my dear child's head. Tonight we are going somewhere fun. That's all I have told her for the past 2 days. This morning she asked me to tell her what the surprise is. Rich and I agreed to tell her who we were going with but not where. So we did. She knows we are going with Kristy and Jerry and Kristy's son's girlfriend's daughter Amber! (Did ya get that?) Brad and Ryana are visiting from Arizona and Lillianna and 2 year old Amber have become buddies. We are going after dinner. That's all she knows.

I can't believe that keeping secrets is so much fun!

Can you keep a secret?
Do you enjoy planning fun events for your kids but not telling them about it until the last minute?


No comments: