Friday, March 11, 2005

Short sleeves in the snow

When I picked Lillianna up from school today she was very unhappy.Every other Friday she has gym class,which she looks forward to. When I took out a heavy turtle neck sweater for her to wear this morning,she argued that it would be too hot in gym. She decided to wear a short sleeve shirt with her pink fluffy button down sweater over it. That way if she got hot she could remove the sweater. I agreed to that sensible argument.Anyone who knows me,knows I hate being too hot!

Apparently,while her class was in gym,an announcement was made throughout the school that the fire alarms were going to be tested. This did not reach Lillianna's gym class due to some overhead problem with the P.A. system. When the alarm went off,Mr.Smith,the gym teacher, thought it was a fire drill. He hurried the children to get in line and rushed them outside in the snow!

Lillianna was only wearing her short sleeve shirt since she had taken her sweater off and wasn't given any time to run across the room for her sweater. As she stood outside, the snow fell on her bare arms and shivering body.She had her sneakers on for gym and not her boots which she wore to school because of all the snow,so the bottom of her jeans got wet. After a few minutes,when no other class went outside,Mr.Smith must have realized something wasn't right. The class went back inside. Lillianna's teacher came to pick the kids up and told him that it was just a testing of the alarms and not a fire drill.

When I picked Lillianna up at 2:30pm she was still cold and couldn't seem to warm up.
I was absolutely livid when I heard this story. I understand Mr.Smith made a mistake because he couldn't hear the announcement but couldn't he see that Lillianna was not dressed for the snow? Does anyone use good judgement in that school? I have had a bad feeling about this place since Lillianna came home her first week of school this year with this ridiculous note to sign. I think common sense is lost in this school.

How would you feel if this happened to your child?

No comments: