Thursday, March 24, 2005

Where have all the marriages gone?

It has kind of hit me lately that marriages are breaking up faster than a heart beat.
Two weddings that Rich and I attended within the past 10 years have already ended in divorce. I remember those weddings vividly. In both cases,the couples were certain they had found their soul mate. They looked lovingly at one another and it made Rich and I smile knowing they had found what we had found. At some point, one or both of them looked at their soul mate and wasn't satisfied with what they saw or with what they wanted. Suddenly their dreams weren't the same. How does that happen?

In March 2003,Rich and I separated for 6 months. When he left,he said it was for good and I believed him. I didn't understand how that could happen. With the help of a good marriage counselor,we were able to work things out and I have to say our marriage has been better than it had been in the years prior to him deciding to leave.

Many couples refuse therapy.Luckily it saved our marriage. Some husbands think it's stupid and just decide that it's not for them.Marriage is hard. Anyone who says it's a breeze is either lying or not married. I'm not saying it's impossible,I'm just not saying that everyday is not a day in Disney World.

I hear people at both of my jobs talk about the problems they are having in their marriage and I wonder what will happen? Will they work it out? Do they even want to?

I don't think that a man or woman who is in an abusive or neglectful marriage should stay because that is a situation no one should live with especially if they have children.I wonder if marriage has just become disposable over the years.

What do you think?

No comments: