Thursday, March 24, 2005

I don't want to live like that

You can't turn on the t.v. or radio without hearing about Terri Schiavo. Her husband said she wouldn't want to live like this. Her parents have been heard to say they're not sure what her wishes were but they want her to keep living this way.
Is it really living to be severely brain damaged and being fed by a feeding tube? Is that living? I can't speak for Terri Shiavo but for me, I never want to live like that.

If there is ever a situation and I am found to be severely brain damaged,I hope they let me die with some type of dignity. I don't want to die a painful death of starvation,but give me a morphine drip and let me go peacefully. I don't want to be a burden to Rich and Lillianna. Why should their life be filled with the constant care of a wife and mother who isn't really there and who will never be there again? For me,it would be better to let me die and remember me when I was healthy and alive.

As for my mother and sister,I know they wouldn't be fighting to keep me alive like that. It wouldn't be what I wanted and they would know that.

G-d forbid this should ever happen to Rich or Lillianna,I wouldn't try to keep them alive if the doctors said there was no hope of recovery. No hope. As in they will never come out of this and never function on their own. How is that living?

If you were in this situation,what would you want?

No comments: