Thursday, June 17, 2004

Circus peanuts? You like circus peanuts?

One day, many years ago, Rich and I were shopping when suddenly he yelled, "Circus peanuts! I love circus peanuts!" I spun around and looked at him as if he were an alien.
"Circus peanuts? You love circus peanuts?........Since when?" I asked suspiciously.

"I have always loved them. I think I will get some," he said as he grabbed a package off the shelf.

"Wait just a minute. We have been married for 3 years now and you have never, I repeat NEVER shown an interest in circus peanuts.If you loved them so much why didn't you ever tell me?" I asked while tapping my foot and glaring at him.

He shrugged his shoulders and said, "You never asked!"

I know there are many topics of conversation that people have when they first meet, when they date and even when they marry. There has never been a moment when I have thought to ask, "So, do you , uhm, like....circus peanuts?" The question has never occured to me because I HATE CIRCUS PEANUTS! What the heck are they, anyway? Spun sugar that is molded into a peanut shape and colored orange? Peanuts are brown! Are they really and truly orange at the circus? Or are they supposed to represent the big floppy shoes of a circus clown? Because I have eaten circus peanuts and if I had to choose between eating a circus peanut or a floppy clown shoe.....I'd take the shoe!

No comments: