Sunday, September 03, 2006

More than being gay

I recently found out that a co-worker that I have known for several years is a lesbian. She might as well have told me that she bought a new house plant for all the drama that stirred up for me. I just added that to the facts I already know about her: she is upbeat,funny(she has a great laugh!),kind,loving,compassionate and she has the most beautiful hair. I guess that last one is kind of superficial but if you saw her hair,you'd just nod in agreement. Her hair is really gorgeous!

The reason this came up at all was because someone was being petty and wanted to publicly "out" her. I don't understand this mentality at all. That would be like someone trying to "out" me for being Jewish. It's certainly nothing that I hide. I just assume people know and don't really care. I mean,it does come in handy if someone has a question about a holiday or tradition. I never mind the questions.
Why would my being Jewish impact any of my co-workers? I can't imagine that it would. I'm not trying to convert any of them. If I were,then they could certainly take me aside and say,"Hey,keep your religion to yourself. I'm happy with my own,thank you."

That is not the case here. This wonderful person is being made to feel like it's a big deal,in a not so nice way, that she is a lesbian. Is it a big deal that I am Jewish? I've never been made to feel like that. I would be shocked to learn that my co-workers feel that way. I really would.

I think people are so much more than their sexual preference. So very much more.
I have friends who are gay but I don't think of them as my "gay friends" unless I am writing something like this or talking about a gay issue. I could list a million of their qualities and I doubt "gay" would be on the list. It's not a quality,just like a religion is not a quality.

I can't imagine talking about one of my friends and adding their sexual preference in the conversation. "So,me and my friend,Kristy.....who is a heterosexual,were going shopping......" Who needs to know that? I think Kristy's husband,Jerry, is grateful for her sexual preference but who else does this effect?...uhm......no one???

I am very much of the "live and let live" philosophy. I think it would be a happier world if people could just mind their own business and not worry so much about what someone else is doing. Where do they find the time??

No comments: