Tuesday, August 29, 2006

A bad math equation for the first day of school

Mommy's P.M.S. + Lillianna's first day of third grade = non stop crying!

Ok,honestly,I cry on the first day of school with or without P.M.S. but it was so much worse today.
Lillianna was nervous about school for some reason so of course,that put me on edge. Rich and I drove her to school. We were planning to drop her off at the student drop-off but when we reached the school she asked,"Aren't you going to walk me up like you did last year?"

Rich and I said,"Of course we will." We parked the car and walked her inside the front door. I asked the teacher in the hall if we could walk her to her class and of course she said,"No." Lillianna looked at me with fear and tears in her eyes. That made me start to cry.

I hugged her and told her it would be ok and that all her friends were waiting for her. She hugged me and walked down the hall. I sobbed all the way to the car. I don't even know why. It was just that there were so many emotions building up to that moment and I couldn't stop them. I got in the car and cried all the way home. Thank goodness it's a short ride.

When we got back home,Rich and I had breakfast. That's when I realized that since Lillianna insisted on packing her own lunch box,I didn't put my special "I love you. Have a good day" note in there. That made me cry even more.

Rich and I look at things in a very different way. I know in his mind he was trying to comfort me when he said,"Just think, in the very near future,Lillianna will hop out of bed,put on her sweatshirt and pants,throw her hair in a ponytail and drive herself to school."

I burst into tears and looked at him in horror as I sobbed,"Why did you go and have to say that????"

Do you have a hard time on your child's first day of school?

No comments: