Wednesday, August 02, 2006

Too late,Mel......it's just too late

I'm really tired of hearing Mel Gibson apologize to the Jewish community for the anti-Semitic remarks that he made when he got picked up for drunk driving last week.
He claims he didn't mean them and that he is not anti-Semitic. He chalked it up to being drunk and not knowing what he was saying.

I have been drunk once or twice in my life and I knew exactly what I was saying when I said it. The problem was,I didn't care that I was saying it.

My senior year in high school,my friends and I arrived at our Halloween dance after drinking way too much Riunite Lambrusco. I was buzzed and determined to tell the boy that I liked that I liked him even though he was dating one of my friends. I did start to reveal my undying love for him when another friend dragged me off before I let the cat out of the bag. My point is,I knew exactly what I was doing even though I wasn't using my best judgment at the time. I never used the excuse,"Well,you can't blame me,I was drunk." The alcohol gave me the courage to say what I had been dying to say for way too long.

I think it's the same with Mel Gibson. He meant every anti-Semitic thing he said and the alcohol gave him the push that he needed to say it. His own father thinks the Holocaust is mostly fiction! The history of anti-Semitism is certainly in the family,although I don't blame children for their parent's actions. You can't deny that this isn't even the first time Mel has been accused of hating the Jewish people.

So Mel,since I am Jewish,I just want you to know that it's not up to me to forgive you. It's up to me to believe that your apology is sincere....which I do not. I think you are trying to say what you think we want to hear and what I want to hear is that you never said those things in the first place.
It's just too late,Mel.

No comments: