Sunday, September 10, 2006

When the phone rings at midnight

Nothing good has ever come from a call in the middle of the night. I am usually afraid to answer the phone after 9:00pm because everyone knows I am asleep by then. Who would be calling me unless someone is dead or injured? That's what the late night calls are all about.

I got home from work around 8:15pm last night and Rich ended up going out at 9:00pm to help his friend at the radio station with some fantasy football game they were setting up. Lillianna had gone to her friend's house for a birthday sleep over at 6:00pm.
I had asked her to call me before my bedtime,not hers.

Many times when she is at a sleep over,she forgets to call us,so when I was ready for bed at 9:30pm,I didn't worry about not hearing from her.
I had been asleep for over two hours when the phone rang at midnight!

Too sleepy and confused to read the caller I.D.,I hesitantly picked up the phone.

"Hi,Mom," my cheery child chirped. Without waiting for a response from me she continued,"We're watching our third video! I'm having a lot of fun. I'm not even tired yet!"

I yawned and laughed,"I told you to call me before my bedtime. I've been asleep for 2 hours. I have to be up at 4:00am,Noodle."

That really didn't have any impact on my child. She continued to tell me about what Joey the cat was doing and asked me to hold on a minute. The things a mom will do for the love of her child. She finally finished catching me up and I told her to get some sleep. She said she would try.

So,if your phone rings at midnight,it might be your child announcing,"I'm still up!!" even if she had to wake you up to tell you that news.

No comments: