Monday, January 22, 2007

Are you sitting in a tub of terriyaki sauce?

Anyone who has ever read this blog knows how I feel about words that are spelled or used incorrectly. This morning I was watching a talk show and some guy confessed to his girlfriend on the phone that he had been in prison for drugs before he met her.

When Greg,the host,asked her how she felt about this she said,"I don't know yet. I'll have to marinate on that."

I just picture her sitting in a tub of terriyaki sauce thinking about her lying,drug dealing boyfriend. Is that what she is planning to do?

Or did she mean to use the word ruminate?
If she didn't know this word she could've just said,"I'll have to think about it." We would've all understood that. What does she do when she's cooking meat? Does she ruminate on the steak by just looking at it and thinking she wishes it was covered in a sauce? I'm really confused.

I'll have to marinate on this one.


(Note: Hilly said marinate is Valley girl slang for thinking it over. I don't know....sounds odd to me. I don't think I'll be using it in that context.Will you?)

No comments: