Saturday, May 21, 2005

We're a great team

Yesterday Lillianna got her hair cut. She was tired of screaming through the daily brushing of her fairly long hair and wanted a change. After the trip to the ice cream stand, we walked in to the local hair salon. Before the hair dresser took out Lillianna's pony tail, I took out her earrings so they wouldn't get caught in her hair. These earrings were Lillianna's brand new purple butterfly dangling earrings that I bought her for Mother's Day. They are very special.

I put the earrings in my jeans' pocket with my keys but I had such a bad feeling the minute that I put them in there. I didn't know why but I kept thinking I should put them back in Lillianna's ears the minute her hair was done. But I didn't do that.

We left the hair salon and went down the strip to the supermarket to pick up a couple of things. Then we went home. Before Lillianna jumped into the shower, I emptied my pocket on the dining room table. There was only one earring in there! *sigh* I told Lillianna that I must have lost it in the supermarket or in the parking lot when I took out my keys. I tried to put it out of my mind.

Right after we finished dinner I just couldn't take it anymore. I had to go back. The supermarket is only a couple of minutes from home so I told Rich I would be back in a few minutes. Lillianna,with her damp hair,wearing her Sponge Bob nightgown looked at me with excitement in her eyes and stated,"I'm coming with you!" I looked at her and said, "No, honey. You stay home. I'll be right back."
"No, Mom. I'm small and can see things you can't. Let me go."
I felt like she had to be there with me so I said ok and she changed her clothes and we went.

I parked the car in the same spot as before and we walked to the supermarket the same way that we had walked to the car. We didn't see anything.
We went inside the supermarket and walked to the check out lane that we had been in.
I was in the wrong lane but Lillianna said,"This is the right one,Mom. Remember, it was across from that little bench that I liked?" She was right. No one was there so I walked to the very spot where I had written my check and I looked on the floor. Under a ledge at the bottom of the counter, hidden away from potential stomping feet, I saw the purple butterfly earring lying safely underneath. I picked it up and shrieked, "I found it!"

Lillianna and I were surprised and ever so excited. "See? I told you I could help you!" she said. "Yup, you sure did. You knew the exact spot we were in and I spotted the earring! We're a great team,little girl," I said as I gave her a big hug.
Her smile said it all.

No comments: