Wednesday, September 22, 2004

Phone call from school

At 11:30am this morning I got a phone call.
"Hello Mrs. P. This is Mrs. A the school nurse."

(Deep breath...it's probably just another wiggly tooth.)

"Is Lillianna ok?" I ask calmly

"Yes, she's fine. She fell off the bars at recess and she got the wind knocked out of her. She landed in the soft sand and she scraped her elbow but I checked her for bumps and bruises and she's ok. Would you like to speak to her?"

I said I would. Lillianna got on the phone.

"Hi Mom! I'm ok."

I asked her if she wanted me to pick her up or stay the last 2 hours of school. She said she'd stay even though her back and elbow hurt. She sounded surprised that she fell but she didn't seem concerned about her injuries.

When I picked her up at school at 2:00pm she seemed just fine. I was kind of surprised that this didn't bother me that much except for the initial feeling of dread when I found out the school nurse was calling me. I don't want to make a big deal of out these things because then every little thing will become a theatrical event.

She went to dancing school this afternoon without any difficulty at all. She did complain of some elbow pain after dinner and a few minutes with an ice pack seemed to relieve that problem. I tucked her into bed and she fell asleep almost immediately. All is well.

Have your kids had accidents at school? How did you react?



No comments: