Monday, September 13, 2004

Common sense in the supermarket

This is to the mother in the supermarket with her 5 or 6 year old son yesterday.

What the hell were you thinking? We were all standing at the deli counter waiting for our number to be called. Yes, it was a bit more crowded than usual. I held #56 and #50 was being served when I got there. It was 4:30pm on a Sunday afternoon and perhaps you had an extremely stressful day with your children. That is still no reason to allow your son to do whatever he wanted while you waited to order your deli. I know children are impatient. I am impatient too. You have to draw the line somewhere!

You saw him climb out from under the shopping cart where he was sitting and jump onto the bread rack in front of the deli counter. I watched as you helped him get his balance on those metal racks which displayed packaged sub rolls,onion rolls and party rolls. What made you think that the consumer would be happy with your son's foot print indented on each and every roll? I know that I enjoy fluffy rolls for my sandwiches not squashed rolls that are as flat as pita bread. If I want pita bread I just buy pita bread.

So he marched back and forth in front of you as if he were stomping grapes into wine and you said nothing. When you noticed several people glaring at you and then at your child you finally guided him back to the shopping cart. That's what it took to get you to stop this deplorable behavior? A few stares? Where is your common sense? Why haven't you taught him that this behavior is unacceptable? He was 5 or 6 years years old. He should have learned this 4 years ago. Don't you know that this is wrong? If this is what you allow him to do in public then I can't imagine what you permit him to do at home.

Here's a tip for you: jumping on the bread rack is not proper supermarket etiquette for you or your children!

No comments: