Tuesday, October 24, 2006

What's so "new" about cheating?

I was watching a talk show last week and the topic was,"The new monogamy." If you go to that link and read some of the rules,you have to wonder,"How is this not cheating?"

The couples on the show tried to spin this many ways but no matter what they said,I still considered this to be cheating. Is consensual cheating better than sneaking around? Isn't cheating just cheating no matter what name you call it?

When I told Rich about this show,he asked,"Uhm,doesn't mono mean one?"

Here is the definition of monogamy:

mo nog a my (m-ng-m)
n.
The practice or condition of having a single sexual partner during a period of time.

The practice or condition of being married to only one person at a time.
The practice of marrying only once in a lifetime.
Zoology. The condition of having only one mate during a breeding season or during the breeding life of a pair.


I guess it doesn't matter what mono means if you feel like making it into something else.
I believe that if you don't believe in being faithful then you shouldn't be married.
It's pretty cut and dry for me. Even though there can be problems in a marriage,that isn't a reason to find another partner unless you are legally divorced.

The argument that having sex with other partners is not about love it's just about sex sounds stupid and shallow to me.

I think "the new monogamy" is just a clever way to give cheaters an excuse to cheat.
What do you think?

No comments: