Sunday, November 12, 2006

R U kidding me?

I understand that there is a need for abbreviations in chat rooms and when text messaging but this ridiculous laziness is spilling into other aspects of life.
We are all stunned when we realize there are teenagers and adults who don't know how to read and spell but what should we expect? Children take writing and spelling short cuts every day. After a while,I wonder if these kids really know the correct spelling of anything.

As I drove to work this morning,I noticed the sign in front of a little antique store that read, WEBKINZ R IN.

Lillianna loves Webkinz but I wonder why the store had to use R instead of are. Were they missing the A and E? Was it too taxing to use 3 letters instead of the one?
Is it because they are trying to appeal to kids who only know the letter R and couldn't read the word ARE? Are we raising a generation of illiterates?

Does anyone know what is going on?? Is anyone surprised that kids can't read? Sadly,I'm not surprised at all.

No comments: