Wednesday, November 29, 2006

A dream job

It's no secret that I am not thrilled with being an ophthalmic technician anymore. After 16 years of doing eye exams,I'm tired and burned out. I have stayed at this job because the money is good and the hours are so flexible. I can add in days if I need to or let them know Lillianna is on vacation and I can't come in that week. It has worked for me all these years but I've wanted a change.

Yesterday,an opportunity came up that I couldn't pass up. A neighbor that I had met this summer at the pool,asked me if I could watch her 9 month old granddaughter 3 days a week. A baby!! Oooooooh......I love babies and especially girls.(Nothing against boys.)

Mom and Kara thought this was a horrible idea. "You'll be tired!" Mom said.(Uhmmm....ya...with all the hours I add in to my job, I already AM tired!)
"You'll get too attached," Kara said. (My neighbor's grandchildren are coming to our state to live with her because her son and daughter-in-law are both in the military and as I understand it,they are both being deployed.) Of course I'll get attached. But it's not like I'm the foster mom and think there's a chance of adopting the baby. I'm the babysitter. I know this child will go home to her parents along with her 2 year old brother when one of their parents returns. That's fine. I just want to love and teach this child while I have her.

Rich has been very supportive. I asked him last night if I could give up my one morning during the week at the ophthalmology office so that I wouldn't be run down. The money I'll make taking care of the baby will make up for that day and one more day if I had picked it up. The plus side is,I won't have to commute 30 minutes each way and I'll be doing something I love as opposed to something I hate but forced to do. I am so very excited.

No one knows how long this will be for but for the time that I can do it,I'll be very grateful. For the first time in a long time,I'm looking forward to working!

No comments: