Friday, May 25, 2007

Food cravings

I know that people who suddenly crave red meat are told they must be low in iron but what does it mean to crave pumpernickel?

I grew up in a bakery and I loved all breads. My least favorites were cissel bread which has caraway seeds in it and pumpernickel bread. In the past few weeks,I've been eating Snyders's pumpernickel and onion pretzels. I'm obsessed with them and I don't know why.

Yesterday,I had to pick up a couple of things at the supermarket and I couldn't get pumpernickel bread off of my mind. I thought this was kind of odd but I just couldn't shake the need to eat some pumpernickel bread so I bought a loaf. The next step?.....the cream cheese aisle. I finally decided on a light Philadelphia cream cheese which I thought would compliment the bread perfectly.

As soon as I got home I toasted two pieces and spread them with cream cheese. It was delicious,just like I knew it would be. I can't wait to make the same thing for breakfast this morning.

Putting pregnancy cravings aside,do you ever have weird cravings for things that you never liked before? Do you ever wonder why? I sure do.

(I just googled pumpernickel and here is what I found. I thought this was hysterical and may be the reason I feel gassy this morning!)

Etymology of pumpernickel

The Philologist Johann Christoph Adelung states about the Germanic origin of the word, in the vernacular, Pumpen was a New High German synonym for being flatulent, a word similar in meaning to the English "fart", and "Nickel" was a form of the name Nicholas, an appellation commonly associated with a goblin or devil (e.g., "Old Nick", a familiar name for Satan). Hence, pumpernickel is described as the "devil's fart", a definition accepted by the Stopes International Language Database [1], the publisher Random House [2], and by some English language dictionaries, including Webster's Dictionary [3]. The American Heritage Dictionary adds "so named from being hard to digest."

No comments: