Thursday, February 15, 2007

Never underestimate the power of an ice cube

It's no secret that I am a huge fan of ice cubes. I have never been so grateful to have a bag of ice in my freezer as I was this morning.

"A" has been teething for two weeks now and it's been getting worse. On Tuesday,she was screaming when she was dropped off and I ended up calling her grandmother to see if I could give her some Tylenol. That seemed to calm her down for the rest of the day and I was glad. I hate to see anyone in pain but especially a baby because they can't say what's wrong.

This morning,"A" was in a screaming frenzy when she was dropped off and her grandfather said she had been ok earlier but then suddenly began to scream. She hadn't slept well or eaten that much.He handed me her bottle of Tylenol and I took my hysterical little pal upstairs and removed her coat. The tears were streaming down her red face.

I offered her a bottle because sometimes she eats when she comes to me but she simply pushed it away. I tried a cold wash cloth for her to suck on but she kept twisting and turning because she couldn't find a spot to be comfortable in. (Think: childbirth!!)

I carried her into the kitchen and grabbed an ice cube out of the freezer. I sat on the couch cuddling her while I rubbed the ice cube on her gums. She immediately relaxed and breathed a sigh of relief. Her sleepy eyes began to close as she licked the ice and fell asleep. It was like magic!

Her grandmother was supposed to buy Orajel the other day but forgot it as she bought me diapers,baby food,cereal and snacks. Sometimes Lillianna choked on Orajel so I didn't mind that it had been forgotten.

Thank goodness for the almighty ice cube!

No comments: