Saturday, September 24, 2005

How do you remember?

Someone at work asked me how to spell psych.
I immediately blurted out,"P-S-Y-C-H." Then I admitted,"Well,I know that from cheerleading."
Even though I have always been a good speller,there are just some words I learned from cheering in high school.

There was the famous,"P-S-Y-C-H-E-D...let's get psyched!" or
"S-U-CC-E-SS,that's the way we spell success!"
The confusion came in with the following cheers,
"R-O-W-D-I-E...That's the way we spell rowdie....rowdie....let's get rowdie....WOOO!"
and then "Let's get a little bit rowdy....R-OW-D-Y." Uhm...ya...so which is it? (Spell check accepted rowdy but not rowdie....what do they know? They wouldn't accept cheerleaders as a word!!)

So,I try not to use rowdie/rowdy in a sentence. Who needs the hassle?

I went to college at UMASS Amherst. I didn't cheer there but their cheerleaders did a cheer that spelled out Massachusetts. Before that,everything was abbreviated Mass. so I didn't have to worry about spelling it at all. Thank goodness for the cheer. I have been able to spell my home state for the past 24 years.College.....good! I admit I do cheer it in my head as I spell it though...you know,so I get it right!

This got me thinking about tricks to remember other things. We all know the spaces and lines in music,right? The spaces spell out F-A-C-E while the lines are E-G-B-D-F which can stand for many,many things. We used Every Good Boy Deserves Fudge or
Empty Garbage Before Dad Flips!

In my college astronomy class,we used this sentence to remember the order of the planets: My Very Excellent Mother Just Served Us New Prunes. I don't know if I'd think Mom was so excellent if I got prunes but...that's the sentence.

We all have little tricks to remember things. How do you do it?

No comments: