Thursday, December 07, 2006

Lillianna's first and last day of basketball

When I signed Lillianna up for basketball in November,we were told her practices and games would be on Fridays. That suited us just fine since it was the only night other than Monday that she didn't have an activity and I didn't work.

Last week,her coach called to say her first practice would be on Thursday at 6pm. When I said it was supposed to be on Friday she said it was never offered on Friday. Rich and I heard them tell us it would be Friday but I didn't argue.

Basketball on Thursday would make it tough since Lillianna has Brownies from 3:45pm-5:00pm. That means a quick dash home with a fast dinner and then out the door in 30 minutes. We decided we would try to make a go of it since she has been waiting two years to play on a basketball team. She had to wait until 3rd grade to start.

She looked so good at her practice. I was really proud of her. I liked this so much better than when she tried soccer 4 years ago. I wouldn't mind being a basketball mom. After practice,as the girls were trying on their new t-shirt,the coach passed out the schedules. I was stunned!

She has games and practices at times that conflict with her other activities and we were assured that Friday would be her day for both. She can't make a practice at 5:00pm on Wednesday since she is in dance from 4:00pm-5:30pm. She can't go at 5:00pm on Thursday since that is when Brownies gets out and we'd be 10 minutes late and she wouldn't have dinner until 7:00pm or 8:00pm. That is completely unreasonable. The practices on Tuesday are out of the question since I am at work and Lillianna has a babysitter!

I was absolutely pissed! My child has waited two damn years to play this sport and now she can't even do it! I went and spoke to the director and he said the times were changed by the church where they practice and there is nothing he can do. I tried to tell him how upsetting this was but he didn't seem to care as he refunded my $40. Lillianna took off her team t-shirt and returned it to her coach. I waited until I was in the car to burst into tears. I cried all the way home.

I feel like I let Lillianna down and I know she is disappointed with this turn of events. There is nothing that can be done....nothing.

No comments: