Saturday, December 18, 2004

My congested child

I knew a few days ago that some type of illness was brewing in Lillianna's system. She complained that her throat felt dry when she woke up in the morning.Yesterday she mentioned she felt a bit congested and that some of her friends in school were sick. It was only a matter of time before they passed the germs her way.

This morning at 6:30am Lillianna walked into the kitchen while I was getting my lunch ready for work. I am always surprised when she wakes up before I leave for work on the weekend.

"Ya know,Mom,last night I woke up and Daddy was still up and I told him I was congested so he gave me some grape medicine," she explained.

"How do you feel now?"

"Ok."

She went into the living room to color on the couch after she declined my offer of breakfast. At 7:00am I left for work.I usually don't call home until lunch time but I called at 9:00am and spoke to Rich.He informed me that Lillianna had gone back to sleep an hour before. Every mommy alarm went off. My child is not a napper unless she is absolutely exhausted. I told Rich to check her temperature when she woke up.
I called back at 11:00am and Lillianna reported that she didn't have a temperature.
I breathed a sigh of relief because she usually runs a very high temp when she is sick.

On the way to my second job of the day I called Rich on his cell phone and he told me Lillianna was asleep in the car and they were on their way to pick out a Christmas tree. Since she didn't have a temp he figured it was safe to take her out for a short time. I didn't have any problem with that. I'm not actually worried about her because she has her doting daddy to watch over her but I always want to be with her when she is sick. I like to be able to snuggle her or just sit with her while we watch t.v. It's hard for me to be at work from 7:30am-9:30pm on a day when my congested child is home feeling yucky. She doesn't need me to be with her but my heart wants to be with her.

Do you feel the need to be home with your child even if your very competent partner is home taking care of him/her?

No comments: