Monday, March 06, 2006

Honesty really is the best policy!

I'm a big Dr.Phil fan. He is always telling people to "Get real!" That sounds so easy but when you are the one that has to get real,it can be tough....tougher than you think.

I have to say that losing 35 pounds was not very difficult for me. I had gone from eating really high fat foods,way too many carbs and just lots of foods with empty calories,to following a low fat,low sugar,low carb eating plan. The change was so drastic that the weight came off in a timely fashion.

Over the past 2 months,I have lost and gained the same 2 pounds without really losing anything. One day I was up one pound. The next time I was down two pounds.....up a half a pound,up a half a pound,down one pound. No matter what I thought I was doing right,the weight stayed at the same number.

The other day I decided to "get real" about my eating. The truth was painful. Yes,I definitely eat healthier than I used to but I'm trying to kid myself and it's not working.

Eating one bag of sour cream and onion rice cakes is not one serving. One serving is 10 rice cakes. If I eat the bag then I am eating six servings. That is 60 grams of carbs and I am only allowed 90 grams of carbs each day. This has had a huge effect on my weight and my blood sugar.
I kept trying to tell myself I was doing the best that I could but it wasn't true. I was only pretending to do my best.

The other day I decided to cut down my portions,be careful with carbs,focus more on exercising and the big one.......no eating after dinner unless it's a low carb yogurt.With these changes in place,I felt confident that things would turn around.

This morning I lost one pound.....a real pound.....a new pound. The scale has moved on to a new lower number! Good scale! My blood sugar has been good and tonight it was the lowest ever....101. It's usually between 120-175 at night which drives me crazy. No consistency.

This progress has really encouraged me to continue to keep it real. I feel happy and proud that I took the bull by the horns and made this change. Being honest with myself hasn't been easy but is has been necessary.

Do you ever try to fool yourself? Does it work?

No comments: