Tuesday, January 17, 2006

Trying to keep a positive outlook

I met with Lynn,my diabetic counselor,yesterday. The last time I saw her was December 23rd so this was a follow up visit. She went over my latest blood test results and said everything looked good. All my numbers came down so she was pleased.
My cholesterol was in the 300's back in November. Now it's 130. (It was 3,000 when I was in the hospital.) That really was good news.

She was pleased with how much I have been exercising/walking and how well I have stayed on my eating plan. Just as I was about to pat myself on the back, she said my morning blood sugar was still too high and she was going to have me add an extra pill at night.

I felt deflated and my eyes filled with tears. She said,"Don't look at it as a set back. We just need to get your morning blood sugar lower." I sighed and said,"But I want to come off these pills soon,not add another pill at night." Lynn assured me that this was only temporary. I still felt like I had taken a giant step backwards.

I will keep exercising and eating properly and hope for the best. I will try not to be discouraged by this even though it does make me sad.

No comments: