Saturday, November 19, 2005

An unplanned side trip

I have received so many emails from people asking how our vacation was. I will be writing a more detailed post for DotMoms in a few weeks but for now,here's what happened.

The first 4 days were wonderful. It was the vacation we had been hoping for even though the heat and all that walking just about wore me out.
On Monday,November 7th,we went to Chef Mickey's for breakfast. We had so much fun seeing all the characters but as we were leaving,I didn't feel very well. We decided to sit down for about 30 minutes to rest then we headed out to the parks.

By 2:00pm the pain in my stomach had become unbearable and I told Rich I had to get back to the hotel to lie down.I felt like I needed to throw up in order to move the pain. We got back to the room by 4:00pm,canceled our dinner reservations at my favorite restaurant and I got into bed.
At 9:30am the next morning,the pain was so much worse.I couldn't stand up. Rich called 911 and I was taken to the hospital. I was diagnosed with pancreatitis.

I ended up spending 7 days in the hospital. For the first few days I cried and moaned a lot from the horrific stabbing pain. It took a while for them to regulate my pain meds. Every time I moved,I was in the worst pain imaginable. I wouldn't wish this on anyone. I can't even believe I survived it. It was a complete nightmare.

The pancreatitis was so bad that it gave me diabetes. Hopefully,that's only temporary. I am on a low fat diet. I check my blood sugar twice a day and take meds for diabetes and for my triglycerides. So far I am doing ok.I was told it could've been much worse. I could've had a heart attack or a stroke.

So,that's the story of our vacation. Since I was smart enough to buy travel insurance prior to our trip,our extended hotel stay,taxi fare and other expenses will be taken care of once we submit our receipts. Always buy travel insurance because you just never know what is going to happen.

All in all,this was quite an eye opening trip. I don't know if I will ever want to return to Disney World again.

No comments: