Sunday, December 19, 2004

Is that an elephant?

Last night Lillianna slept in bed with me while Rich slept in her room. That's the arrangement when she is sick because I like to touch her at night to make sure she isn't spiking a fever. Her temp tends to soar around 1:00am so I need her next to me just to be sure. At 3:00am Lillianna woke me up.

"I have to blow my nose," she said.

"Ok, well I might as well go to the bathroom so I will get up with you."

Lillianna's bedroom is right next to mine which is across from the bathroom.As we stepped into the hall, we heard an elephant. You know, that trumpeting noise that elephants make?Well that sound was loud....and very close by. We were stunned. How did an elephant get into our 2nd floor apartment? Was it even possible?

"What the heck is that, Mom?" Lillianna exclaimed.

"Uhm....that is your father." I explained.

"Is he snoring?" she asked, looking very confused.

"Well, not exactly. He is trumpeting like an elephant for some reason."

Lillianna and I burst out laughing as we ran back to bed. We snuggled together and tried to go back to sleep. The trumpeting was getting louder.....and louder.

"Holy moly! It sounds like an elephant trying to pull his foot out of the mud!!" I laughed.

Lillianna had a giggling fit.I couldn't even imagine how those sounds were coming out of my husband. I will admit he has been known to make some other sounds that have almost scared me out of bed but this was quite different. I marched into Lililanna's bedroom.

"Honey," I said as I shook him gently. No response. More trumpet noises.
"Rich," I tried again as I shook him a little harder. Nothing.
"RICH!!" I said more forcefully as I tried to roll him over.

"Huh? What? Was I snoring?" he asked groggily.

"Ah, no....not snoring. You were making elephant noises!" I patiently explained.

Rich looked apologetic. "Sorry, sorry. That's because I was dreaming I was riding an elephant and charging through a village."

I looked at him in astonishment. "Seriously?" I gasped.

"Ya....I was riding an elephant.Sorry for the noise. Sorry."

I left the room shaking my head. I went back to my room and looked at Lillianna.

"OH-MY-GOD! He was dreaming he was riding an elephant. That's why he was making elephant noises!!"

We laughed ourselves back to sleep.

During my break at work I called Rich to ask him about all of this.

"Do you remember me waking you up at 3:00am?" I asked.

"Huh? No...why'd you wake me up?"

I gave him the whole story. He laughed and laughed.He doesn't remember a darn thing!!

Have you ever had anything like this happen to you?

"

No comments: