Sunday, December 04, 2005

Hey what?

When Lillianna was around two years old,we had to decide what words we would teach her for body parts. Most books said not to teach nonsense words because it may be hard for teachers or relatives to understand our made up words. I thought that sounded reasonable so I taught her "vagina" and "penis." Rich nearly had a coronary right there on the spot.

"I don't want to hear my two year old say vagina," he protested.

"What would you have her say,then?" I asked.

"Why can't she call it a "foo-foo"?" he suggested.

"You mean like little bunny foo-foo hopping through the forest?" I asked.

"Yes!" he said with great joy.

"Hell no! She will use the correct words and that's that!"

Rich was not pleased but I am the mom so the case was closed.

This morning,Lillianna wanted a bath but when Rich ran the water it was yellow. This happens sometimes and it's not harmful,so they say, but Rich didn't want to take any chances. He told Lillianna she would have to have a shower. For some reason it doesn't look yellow this way.Probably because you're not sitting in it.

When Lillianna protested and demanded an explanation, I heard Rich exclaim,"Because it's not good for your "hey nonny nonny" if you sit in that water!"

I was on the computer and started to laugh. Lillianna came in and threw herself on my bed in a fit of laughter. You gotta love that guy.

Did you teach your children the correct names for their body parts or did you choose to use other names? Why did you make that choice?

No comments: